La Merced Convent
- 1477 square meter church and convent built in the early 1600s.
- Used as Henry Morgan’s headquarters after they saved it from the flames in 1671.
- After the fire the facade was dismantled and moved to Casco Viejo.
- Rest of the blocks were used to build the walls of the new city.
- Remains were damaged during construction of the old Avenida Cincuentenario which used to run through the middle of the site.
- The church of the Mercedarian friars (Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy) had four confraternities (Our Lady of Solitude, Our Lady of Candelaria, Our Lady of Saint Katherine, and Our Lady of the Holy Waters), each one likely with its own altar.
Back to Panama Viejo or on to 4. Conjunto Conventual de San Francisco