St John Convent

  • Group of buildings belonging to the Augustinians who established themselves between 1604 and 1610 as one of the last monasteries in the city
  • Original construction of wooden buildings began between 1615 and 1620, but they were demolished by the president of the Court due to disputes
  • This was the home of the “Golden Altar” that can now be seen in Casco Antiguo at the church of the same name
  • The altar was disguised before Morgan attacked the city so it was spared


Back to Panama Viejo or on to 18. Puente del Rey