• Panama City’s only hospital, built after 1585 to replace a modest wooden construction
  • Originally called San Sebastian’s Hospital, this was built by the government for the military, and run by nuns until 1620, when the friars of San Juan took over
  • Its purpose was mainly to care for the poor, the military and women of the poorer classes, while the wealthy citizens were treated in their own homes
  • The convent had an area of 2500 m², nowadays reduced to 1500 m²
  • The hospital included a church and cloister, outbuildings and patios
  • The monks had about 20 houses for rent that paid hospital expenses
  • Much of the remains were scattered when Av Cincuentenario and a side road were put in not long ago


Back to Panama Viejo or on to 6. Conjunto Conventual de La Concepción