• Crosses the Algarrobo River and marked the beginning of the Camino de Cruces heading to San Lorenzo
  • Historical documents from 1567 suggest the bridge was necessary to deal with the tides and the caimans
  • Originally a wooden bridge, replaced by stone in 1607
  • Matadero means Slaughterhouse – it was used by the farmers when they took their livestock to get slaughtered
  • Also called the “Morgan Bridge” because this was the bridge that Morgan used to gain entrance to the city, in 1671
  • The bridge was used until 1953 for vehicles and was restored on several occasions throughout the 20th century
  • Restoration has changed the bridge somewhat, but it is possible that the original design was similar to the King’s bridge


Back to Panama Viejo or on to 2. Fortín de la Natividad