• Finest French Neo-classical architecture in Casco Viejo
  • 1875 – Built as Gran Hotel
  • 1881 – Converted into Canal Headquarters by the French
  • 1904 – US headquarters for the canal
  • 1910 – Building surrendered to Panama who used it as the National Post Office
  • 1997 – Became the Panama Canal Museum
  • Displays are in Spanish, but there is an English audio tour
  • The displays tell the story of both the French and American efforts to build the canal, and throw in a little bit of pre-Columbian and Spanish colonial history at the beginning

Note that there is very little information about Noriega and the 1989 US invasion

 

Next: Iglesia de la Compañía de Jesus