Transit the Panama Canal
Transiting the Panama Canal, what to see in Panama, and much more…
The original aim of this website was to explain how to Transit the Panama Canal by Yacht.
The project quickly expanded to include what you will see when you Transit the Panama Canal by Cruise Ship, and some of the shore excursions you can make during a port call in Panama
Thing to see and do in Panama can be found in the Panama Sights pages and links.
Of course, the Panama Canal is the main attraction, so you can find an overview of the history, descriptions of how it works, and ways to see the Panama Canal.
We also provide Articles and Posts about Panama and the Canal.
Most of the website information and a lot more is available to Download as a PDF
We have collated the information on this website relevant to transiting a yacht through the Canal, and you can download it here. Just email for an update if you received an older version.
The cruise ship version can also be downloaded here. This ebook has the same information about the Canal and how it works, and then details more than 130 things to look out for while going through the Canal, from sights on the shore, to the various boats and ACP equipment you might see.
A recent testimonial about the yacht guide:
“Ready for details? They’re all in Mad About Panama’s website and very useful $2.99 ebook. If you read just one guide to prepare, this should be it.“
All about the Panama Canal
- Get an Overview of the Panama Canal
- Find out how the Canal Works
- How to transit on a yacht
- Links to blogs of yacht experiences
- What you will see from a Cruise Ship
- Where you can go on one-day Shore excursions
- Read about our Canal experiences
- Trivia about the Panama Canal
- How to see the Panama Canal if you are not on a yacht or a cruise
- Panama City : Bridge of the Americas – Amador Causeway – BioMuseum – ACP Administration Building – Ancon Hill – Balboa High School – Balboa – Mi Pueblito
- Casco Antiguo
- Panama Viejo
- Colon City – Hotel Washington
- Fort San Lorenzo
- Where to find the Parks & Wildlife : Punta Culebra – Metropolitan Park – Soberania Park – Summit Park – Barro Colorado
- Shopping information
- Getting around Panama
Photographs from our collection
This map shows places that are mentioned in the website:
We are Russell Stanley and Diane Osborne
An Aussie and a Kiwi who now live in Panama, and have helped out as linehandlers on yachts transiting through the Panama Canal. We have an extensive maritime background, and plenty of trips through the Canal, with positive testimonials from the yacht owners.
This website developed out of a love for Panama and the Canal, and we hope to provide information for yacht owners and tourists alike. We welcome inquiries regarding all things Panama, whether you are considering relocating, transiting the Canal or just visiting. Please contact us at [email protected] and we will endeavour to reply as soon as possible.
And don’t forget, you can download a PDF here that contains most of the relevant information about transiting a yacht through the Canal.