• The convent was founded in 1578 by the Jesuit father Miguel de Fuentes
  • This stone structure was built in 1607, but destroyed by fire in 1671 during Henry Morgan’s attack
  • Huge complex of 5000 m²
  • It probably served as a school, since the Jesuits established the first primary and secondary schools in Panamá
  • Often served as the cathedral, and was used for conversion of the indigenous people
  • Recently been discovered that mud was used instead of lime as mortar to join the stones in the construction of walls
  • The church was of great height and had three vaults
  • The main cloister had a wooden gallery, from which only the bases of the columns and the foundations survive


Back to Panama Viejo or on to 8. Casas Oeste