• Built in 1556, this complex included the Quartermaster Building, the Court, the Chancellory, the Gun Powder Deposit, the Royal Audience Court and the Residence of the Governor
  • Vast complex protected by a palisade and a moat to protect the treasures from Peru
  • Despite the obvious historical importance of the site, past governments have allowed sections of the property to be used as a landfill and for horse stables
  • In the 1970s and 80s the Panama Defense Force occupied the site and constructed buildings and a heliport
  • The tides eroded much of the walls, and now there are only scattered remains of the once impressive structures

 

Back to Panama Viejo or on to 15. Casa de los Genoveses