• The Cabildo was the city council which directed the development and future of the city
  • The Municipal Building was originally built behind the Cathedral around 1540
  • A much larger masonry building was built on Plaza Mayor in 1583
  • It was destroyed in 1621 by an earthquake but rebuilt by 1640
  • Consisted of a room on the ground floor in front of the square, two shops on the street that ran to the south, and a backyard adjoining the church building
  • City Council rooms were on the upper level, accessed by the stone staircase, with a gallery used as a balcony from which the city leaders would make announcements

 

Back to Panama Viejo or on to 13. Casa Alarcón